These Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are a healthy, easy way to meal prep for the work week! Treat them as a last minute dinner or turn the shredded chicken into taco bowls – the choice is yours!
When it comes to making simple Instant Pot chicken recipes, not much can compete with chicken tacos! Pressure cooking makes everything come together quickly, and it’s so easy to make Instant Pot taco chicken meat!
When I make Instant Pot chicken tacos, I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts. Chicken breasts are my choice for a couple of reasons:
- Chicken breast is white meat, which is leaner than dark meat. As a result, it is lower in fat and calories than dark meat.
- Due to the way the natural grain runs through white meat chicken, it shreds easier than dark meat.
That being said, you can definitely make this chicken tacos recipe with chicken thighs.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
These chicken tacos come together super easily with just a few simple ingredients.
You’ll add the following to your Instant Pot:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Chili powder
After you pressure cook, you’ll shred the chicken and then add your toppings! I’ll typically add avocado, cheese, salsa or pico de gallo, red onions and lettuce but you can feel free to add in extras like cilantro, corn, black beans and whatever else you love to load your tacos with!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
After you pressure cook the chicken and seasonings, it’s as simple as shredding the chicken breasts (see notes on how to shred chicken below) and then you will warm up some corn tortillas in the microwave before adding toppings.
I like to use corn tortillas to give my tacos an extra layer of flavour – this way the tacos taste more authentic like the kind that come from a restaurant! You can also feel free to use flour tortillas or hard taco shells.
How do you shred chicken for shredded chicken tacos?
There are a couple of easy ways to shred chicken.
- Forks: The simplest but most time-consuming method is to place the chicken onto a cutting board. Holding a fork in each hand, start pulling the chicken apart.
- Stand Mixer: This method is really quick, but it does require washing a few extra dishes. Place the chicken into the bowl of a stand mixer. Insert the paddle attachment and run the mixer on low speed for 15-20 seconds. There you have it – shredded chicken in seconds!
Another method for making Instant Pot shredded chicken involves pulsing the chicken in a food processor. Personally, I don’t like this method; it is really easy to over-process the chicken. As a result, you will have minced chicken rather than shredded and it won’t be as moist.
What else can I make with Instant Pot shredded chicken?
This easy Instant Pot shredded chicken is perfect for meal prep. There are a lot of different ways to use it! Rather than serving chicken tacos in taco shells or on corn tortillas, here are some other easy meal ideas:
- Taco salad bowls: With this method, you won’t need tortillas. You will have a weeknight meal that isn’t just delicious, but it is also low carb and gluten-free.
- Salsa chicken: Quick and easy chicken recipe doesn’t begin to describe it. THREE ingredients; salsa, chili powder (or taco seasoning), and the chicken. Shred it and serve.
- White chicken chili is one of my favorite Instant Pot shredded chicken recipes. Simple to make and it freezes well, making it perfect for meal prep lunches.
Toppings for pulled chicken tacos
The best taco toppings for chicken tacos are, for the most part, the same as beef tacos. Diced tomatoes and onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.
For a nice boost of fiber and flavour, you may want to add some black beans. Rather than shredded cheddar, I like white Mexican cheeses such as queso fresco; they seem to taste better with chicken.
Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you want to add the Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos into your weekly lunches.
I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 (500mL) container salsa (ideally fresh salsa but jarred will work)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Corn tortillas
- Pico de gallo
- Red onion
- Shredded cheese
- Add all ingredients for chicken in the order listed to Instant Pot. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare toppings for tacos. Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook the 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Shred chicken, then serve in corn tortillas or atop lettuce in meal prep bowls with toppings of choice. Enjoy!