This Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is a delicious, spicy spin on the classic made with green chilis, white beans and shredded chicken!
White chicken chili is one of those “curl up on the couch with a bowl of comfort food” meals. It pairs perfectly with Mexican comfort foods like tortilla chips and queso.
Or you can serve it with a side of Ranch Rice Bowls. Just leave the chicken out of the rice bowls, because there’s plenty of it in the chili!
What is white chili?
White chili has a base of chicken broth, with white beans, corn, green chiles, and spices.
Typically, white chili has chicken in it, but sometimes pork is used. White chicken chili is usually less spicy than traditional tomato-based chili, but that’s not a hard and fast rule.
It really comes down to what type of chili peppers and seasonings you use.
How do you thicken chicken chili?
The consistency of chili is really a matter of personal preference. Some people believe that if chili is too thin, it isn’t chili, it’s soup. Others believe that it’s the spices that separate chili recipes from soup recipes.
If you prefer a thicker consistency for white chicken chili, thickening it isn’t too difficult. There are several ways to thicken Instant Pot chicken chili.
- Add a cornstarch slurry after the pressure cooking is complete.
- When you place the ingredients into the Instant Pot, add 2 tablespoons of flour, or for a low carb chili, unflavored protein powder works well.
- After the pressure cooking is complete, release the pressure and remove the lid. Then switch the setting to saute or simmer and allow the chili to reduce.
- Or you can just add more chicken and green peppers!
Can you freeze white chicken chili?
This is a great meal prep recipe! If you plan to freeze this Instant Pot white chicken chili, make sure that it has cooled completely.
Transfer the chili to meal prep containers or other freezer-safe containers. To save freezer space, you can even freeze it flat, using gallon or quart-sized plastic storage bags.
The night before you want to serve it, remove the chili from the freezer and transfer to the refrigerator to thaw.
You can reheat the chili in a saucepan on the stove, or it can be reheated in your Instant Pot! Either reheat using the simmer or saute setting, or slow cook it on low power for 3-4 hours.
How long can you keep white chicken chili?
If the white chicken chili is properly cooked and stored, it will last 3-4 days in a refrigerator, or 3-4 months in a freezer.
More Mexican Recipes
If you love the flavour of white chicken chili, I bet you’ll love these Mexican recipes, too!
I hope you enjoy this easy Mexican dinner as much as I do!
Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this White Chicken Chili up for lunch or storing in the freezer.
And of course I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box!
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium-sized red onions, diced
- 3 medium-sized chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4.5 oz/127mL) can green chiles
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Add everything to Instant Pot in the order listed above except for toppings, green pepper, lime juice and cilantro. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10-20 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook the 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon, then open lid when pressure gauge has dropped and lid opens easily. Shred chicken breasts, then stir in lime juice, green pepper and cilantro.
- Serve in large bowls then top with desired toppings. Enjoy!
- NOTE: This soup will keep in the fridge up to 5 days. Alternatively, you can freeze it in small glass bowls (individual serving size is best) and reheat each bowl in the microwave for 7-8 minutes, stirring once halfway through.