These Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos are so easy and a healthy weeknight dinner idea. You can even use frozen turkey to make them!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – any neutral oil will work in place of olive oil.
- Ground turkey – use ground chicken or extra-lean ground beef instead.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Taco seasoning – use store-bought taco seasoning or make your own using a blend of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, paprika and oregano.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth or beef broth will also work.
- Corn tortillas – flour tortillas make a great alternative to corn tortillas. For a low-carb option, use lettuce wraps.
- Lettuce – iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce or mixed greens can be used for this recipe.
- Tomatoes – swap out the tomatoes for fresh pico de gallo or salsa.
- Red onions – white onions or shallots would be good too or you can leave out the onions altogether.
- Cheese – use any blend of shredded cheese that you prefer. I recommend shredded cheddar cheese or a shredded Tex Mex blend.
- Sour cream – feel free to use low-fat sour cream or leave it out altogether.
How to make ground turkey tacos in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Sauté the ground turkey.
Brown the ground turkey with the taco seasoning in the Instant Pot. Season with salt and pepper then pour in the chicken broth.
Step 2: Cook on high pressure.
Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Assemble your toppings.
Prep your toppings while the turkey is cooking.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Do a quick release of the pressure, then assemble the tacos with any toppings of your choice. Serve and enjoy!
Taco topping ideas
The best part about these ground turkey tacos is the toppings! You can go for the classic toppings like lettuce, pico de gallo, cheese, red onion, etc. but if you’re looking for more inspiration, I’ve got you covered. Here are some more great topping ideas:
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Green onions/scallions
- Pickled onions
- Corn (with cotija cheese)
- Salsa of your choice
- Fresh lime zest/lime juice
- Pickled jalapenos
Frequently Asked Questions
Turkey tacos are a healthier version of your classic ground beef tacos. Turkey is a leaner cut of meat, which means that Instant Pot ground turkey recipes like these tacos are lower in calories and in fat (just make sure you don’t go overboard on the toppings).
These ground turkey tacos have 379 calories per serving. The calorie count will vary based on what toppings you add on.
If you forgot to take the ground turkey out of the freezer or are in a rush, don’t sweat it – you can cook ground turkey directly from frozen in your Instant Pot. Skip the sauté portion and pressure cook the meat for 15 minutes, followed by a natural pressure release.
Storing and reheating
Like most ground turkey Instant Pot recipes, these ground turkey tacos are great for meal prep. Store all your leftover toppings and ground turkey in separate glass containers for easy assembly the next day. The meat and toppings will last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy your tacos, reheat the ground turkey in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, warm your tortillas, assemble your tacos and enjoy!
Freezing the ground turkey
Once the ground turkey has fully cooled, you can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container or a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. When you’re ready for another taco night, just transfer the frozen turkey from the freezer to the fridge the night before, then warm it up in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop. You also directly sauté the meat from frozen in a pan on the stovetop until heated throughout.
More Instant Pot taco recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you need to store any leftover tacos.
- Freeze the ground turkey in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Tomatoes or pico de gallo
- Red onions
- Cheese, grated
- Sour cream
- Heat Instant Pot on saute mode. Add olive oil, waiting for 1-2 minutes to ensure oil is hot. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning, breaking up and browning for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Turn off saute mode and pour in chicken broth.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 2 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 2 minutes. While meat is cooking, prepare toppings.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Serve ground turkey mixture with a slotted spoon, dividing among corn tortillas and adding taco toppings of choice. Enjoy!