This Instant Pot Ground Beef is so easy to make – read on for ideas on how to use it, plus how to cook frozen ground beef too!
How to cook ground beef in the Instant Pot
Turn on the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add the ground beef to the Instant Pot.
- Saute and break apart the ground beef until and wait for it to brown. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the beef broth once the ground beef has browned and broken apart, turn on the pressure cook for 2 minutes.
Once the beef has cooked, transfer it to a plate to serve, plate with a dish of your choice, or freeze the meat to meal prep it.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Extra-lean ground beef – another ground beef variant that isn’t extra lean will work but will affect the nutritional information. The same cooking instructions will follow suite for any ground meat.
- Beef broth – beef broth compliments the taste of the meat but if you’re in a pinch, vegetable broth can also work.
Using frozen ground beef
If you forgot to thaw your ground beef, the good news is that you can cook your beef straight from frozen! The cooking instructions from frozen are fairly simple. To cook the frozen ground beef, skip the saute step in the cooking instructions and simply pressure cook for 12 minutes. Once the pressure cook has completed, do a natural pressure release and you’re done!
Ideas on how to use it
Ground beef is such a versatile ingredient for so many lunch and dinner recipes! If you feel stumped on how to use the ground beef, here are some ideas:
- Make chili cheese fries
- Add leftover ground beef to nachos for extra protein
- Work it into a casserole dish
- Make a stir fry/rice bowl
- Add to tacos or quesadillas
- Make a hearty chili
- Add to stuffed peppers
Storing and reheating
For any leftover ground beef that you won’t be using immediately, store the meat in an airtight container. The ground beef will last up to 5 days in the fridge, so it’s a great option for food prepping your meat ahead of time for your week’s meals.
When you’re ready to enjoy your ground beef, take as much as you’d like to use from the container and warm it up in the microwave for up to 2 minutes or heat it in a pan on the stove.
Freezing leftover meat
If you want to extend the life of the ground beef, you can freeze any leftovers for future use. Once the beef has fully cooled, the meat can be kept in the freezer for up to three months in an air tight container or a freezer bag. When you’re ready to enjoy the beef, just transfer the frozen beef from the freezer to the fridge the night before.
After it has defrosted overnight, warm the beef in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. You also directly saute the meat from frozen in a pan on the stove until heated throughout.
More Instant Pot beef recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning the ground beef into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my meat from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Use these Ziploc bag holders if you’re marinating the beef then freezing it for future use
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls for up to 3 months
Instant Pot Ground Beef
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Heat Instant Pot on saute mode. Add ground beef, breaking up and browning for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Turn off saute mode and pour in beef broth.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 2 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily. Serve ground beef with a slotted spoon, draining liquid. Enjoy!
- Add ground beef and beef broth. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 12 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 12 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release, then open lid once the pressure gauge has dropped. Turn Instant Pot to saute mode. Break up beef with a spoon, then season with salt & pepper to taste. Saute for 3-4 minutes until beef is browned. Serve ground beef with a slotted spoon, draining liquid. Enjoy!