This Instant Pot Cabbage Soup is full of veggies and antioxidants, making it a nutrient-rich meal that is perfect for a healthy diet!
How to make cabbage soup in the Instant Pot
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot in the order in which they are listed, except for frozen vegetables and fresh parsley. Combine ingredients.
- After ingredients have been combined, add in the frozen vegetables and pressure cook ingredients.
- Once the soup has finished pressure cooking, you will then lift lid carefully and mix ingredients together.
- Serve cabbage soup into bowls. Garnish the filled bowls with fresh parsley and then enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – neutral oils like grapeseed oil, avocado oil and sunflower oil work great in place of olive oil.
- Green cabbage – the star of the recipe is the green cabbage, but any color of cabbage is fine so feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Yellow onion – you can use white or red onion if you’re not a fan of yellow onion.
- Celery – you can leave this out entirely if you’re not a fan of celery.
- Garlic – fresh or jarred minced garlic will work fine in this recipe.
- Italian seasoning – Feel free to make your own blend of Italian seasoning or buy it from the store.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Diced tomatoes – canned diced tomatoes will work best for this recipe.
- Vegetable broth – you can also use chicken broth for this recipe.
- Frozen vegetables – use a frozen vegetable mixture of your choice; the one I recommend has a blend of carrots, corn, and peas.
- Parsley (to garnish)
Why is cabbage soup healthy?
Cabbage soup is a healthy soup recipe and was traditionally seen as ae part of a nutritionally balanced weight loss plan! The reason why people jumped on the bandwagon of cabbage soup is because of the health benefits. Cabbage is full of rich antioxidants, fibre, and beta-carotenes. It’s also low-fat and a great source of vital vitamins and minerals.
Having cabbage soup has also proven to help limit inflammation in the body, lower blood pressure, improve digestion and can help to lower cholesterol levels – there are so many benefits!
What to serve on the side
If you’re looking for the perfect accompaniment for your cabbage soup, look no farther! Here are some great side dishes to pair with your cabbage soup:
- Garlic bread or crusty bread (optional: add butter)
- Saltine or water crackers
- A side salad of your choice
- Steamed vegetables
- Potatoes (mashed, roasted, etc.)
Storing and reheating
This recipe creates 6 servings so you will have plenty of leftovers to enjoy! Once the soup reaches room temperature, transfer immediately in individual servings into airtight containers or mason jars and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep well in the fridge for up to five days, so you have a whole week of easy lunches/dinners!
You can reheat the individual servings in the microwave for a 1-2 minutes. Or, if you’re looking to enjoy the leftovers with your family, reheat the entire batch at once by transferring the soup to a pot on the stove top.
Freezing this soup
This Instant Pot cabbage soup is freezer-friendly! To prepare this soup as a freezer meal, wait for the soup to cool down and then transfer it into a freezer-safe container or into freezer bags. You have the option to store the soup as one big batch or into multiple containers or bags as individual servings. If you’re looking to save space in your freezer, try freezing your soup in freezer bags so you can lay them flat!
The cabbage soup will keep well in the freezer for up to four months. If you’ve stored the soup in freezer bags, transfer the bags to the fridge the night before you’re looking to enjoy and warm up once thawed by microwave or on the stovetop. If in bowls, you can defrost and reheat the soup right in the microwave for up to 7-8 minutes, stopping every 3 minutes to stir.
More Instant Pot soup recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this onion soup into leftovers
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 (796mL) can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (750g) bag frozen vegetables
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot in the order in which they are listed, except for fresh parsley.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 2 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Garnish with parsley, then serve soup in large bowls. Enjoy!