This is the Easiest Instant Pot Black Bean Soup. The smoky and spicy soup is packed with flavour and so comforting for cozy nights in.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral cooking oil such as grapeseed or canola oil.
- Red onions – white onions or shallots would also be good.
- Canned black beans – try making this soup with red or pinto beans instead.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – if you can’t find any chipotle peppers, use 2 tsp. smoked paprika or ancho chili powder and 2 tbsp. tomato sauce. You can also de-seed and mince one or two jalapeños to add to the soup.
- Taco seasoning – use a store-bought blend or make your own.
- Lime juice – freshly squeezed lime juice is best but bottled lime or even lemon juice can be used in a pinch.
- Garlic – I prefer freshly minced garlic but jarred minced garlic will work too.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Frozen corn – swap out for fresh corn kernels or even diced carrots or celery.
- Red pepper – use any colour bell pepper of your choice.
- Vegetable broth – chicken broth is the best substitute here.
How to make black bean soup in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Add everything to the Instant Pot.
Add all ingredients to Instant Pot in the order in which they are listed, except for toppings. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
Step 2: Cook on high pressure.
Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Mash or blend the soup.
Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
Step 4: Stir in the cilantro.
Step 5: Ladle into bowls.
Step 6: Add on your toppings and serve!
What to serve with black bean soup
This black bean soup Instant Pot recipe packs plenty of flavour and plant-based protein on its own. The toppings are really where you can let your creativity shine!
Here are some great topping options:
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Sour cream or creme fraiche
- Diced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Pickled jalapenos
- Diced tomatoes
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This Instant Pot black bean soup is super healthy. It’s packed with nutrients thanks to the black beans, which are a great source of fibre, protein, folate, iron and vitamin B. And since you’re making the soup at home, you don’t have to worry about any additives or hidden sodium.
This black bean soup Instant Pot recipe is made of canned black beans, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, taco seasoning, lime juice, garlic, onion, frozen corn, red pepper and vegetable broth. You can use raw black beans if you want, but you’ll need to soak and cook them first – using canned black beans is way easier and just as healthy.
Make sure you drain the canned black beans before adding them to your soup. This will enhance the flavour of the Instant Pot black beans and ensure your soup isn’t watery.
If you like your Instant Pot black bean soup on the thicker side, use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash some of the cooked beans. Just be sure to leave some of them for texture. Also be aware that the soup will thicken as it sits.
Storing and reheating
Cool this Instant Pot black bean soup to room temperature before storing it in airtight containers for 4 to 5 days.
The soup will thicken as it sits in the refrigerator. To thin it out, add a little water or broth to the soup when reheating it on the stovetop, in the microwave or even in the Instant Pot. To reheat the soup in your pressure cooker, use the simmer or sauté function and heat thoroughly.
Freezing this recipe
This black bean soup Instant Pot recipe freezes well for up to 3 months. Transfer the cooled soup to airtight freezer-safe containers. Thaw the soup in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it. Be sure to stir it occasionally and add a little broth if necessary when you’re reheating it.
If you want to freeze the soup in individual containers for a quick meal, you can reheat it right from frozen in the microwave on high power for 7 to 8 minutes.
More Instant Pot soup recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on storing leftover soup.
Easiest Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 (540mL/19oz) cans black beans, drained
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- green onions
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- Add all ingredients to Instant Pot in the order in which they are listed, except for toppings. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Serve in large bowls, add toppings, then serve and enjoy.