These Lemon Herb Instant Pot Green Beans are so easy to make. They’re tender crisp and seasoned with lemon, garlic and herbs.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Green beans – you can try making this recipe with asparagus, but the cooking time may differ.
- Olive oil – any neutral oil or butter can be used instead.
- Lemon juice – fresh lemon juice is preferred but bottled lemon juice will work in a pinch.
- Lemon zest – feel free to leave this out if you don’t have any fresh lemons.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Rosemary – add some extra thyme or swap out for sage instead.
- Thyme – oregano or marjoram will provide a similar flavour.
How to cook green beans in the Instant Pot
- Prep your ingredients.
- Cook the beans in the Instant Pot.
- Toss with fresh herbs.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with green beans
Green beans are a nutrient-rich vegetable that pairs well with practically any meal! They’re a great way to add veggies to your plate and offer amazing flavour when they’re seasoned with this lemon herb seasoning. Here are some ideas on what to serve with green beans:
- Grilled chicken and mashed potatoes
- Served with roasted/grilled potatoes
- Baked salmon
- A delicious steak
- Mixed with other sautéed veggies like mushrooms, red peppers, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Green beans are a healthy vegetable that’s packed full of nutrients and vitamins while being low in calories. They’re high in fibre, potassium, folate, vitamin K and vitamin C.
Green beans will need to cook for 1 minute at high pressure in the Instant Pot. It will take the Instant Pot 5 to 10 minutes to get up to high pressure, so the total cooking time is around 10 minutes.
Yes! Green beans are keto friendly. They’re not super high in carbs, unlike other kinds of beans like kidney or lima beans.
Storing and reheating
You can store any leftover cooked beans in an airtight glass container for up to a week, which makes them a great meal prep dish. Microwave them for 1 minute or until fully heated then serve.
Can you freeze green beans?
Yes, cooked beans are definitely freezer-friendly. You can freeze them for up to 10 months in airtight containers or Ziploc bags. Let them defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal. You can also reheat them straight from frozen in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
More Instant Pot vegetable recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on keeping your carrots as a side dish for the week.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls.
Lemon Herb Instant Pot Green Beans
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- Add the 3/4 cup of water to the bottom of Instant Pot and then place trivet inside the inner pot.
- Add green beans, then drizzle with olive oil & lemon juice, sprinkling garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper overtop of beans as well. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to low, then cook for 1 minute. The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, then notify you it's done by beeping.
- Press the Cancel button then do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Carefully remove green beans from Instant Pot and serve on a large platter, gently tossing with fresh rosemary and thyme. Serve and enjoy!