This is the easiest way to make perfect Instant Pot Green Beans every time – they’re tender-crisp, seasoned with lemon, garlic and herbs.
How to make Green Beans in the Instant Pot
- Prepare the green beans by washing and cutting them into smaller pieces. Prep other ingredients necessary.
- Add water and trivet to Instant Pot. Then add green beans, a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper to the Instant Pot. Pressure cook for 1 minute.
- Carefully remove green beans from Instant Pot and serve on a large platter. Gently toss with fresh rosemary and thyme.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Green beans
- Olive oil – any neutral oil or butter can be used as a replacement to olive oil.
- Lemon juice – use fresh lemon juice as you will need lemon zest in this recipe. If in a pinch use bottled lemon juice.
- Lemon zest – if you did not have fresh lemon on hand, feel free to leave this out in a pinch.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Rosemary (to garnish)
- Thyme (to garnish)
How to serve green beans
Green beans are a fibre, potassium and folate rich vegetable that pairs well with practically any meal! They’re a great way to add veggies to your plate and flavour when seasoned with this lemon herb seasoning. If you’re ready to enjoy these green beans but don’t know how to enjoy them, here are some options:
- Grilled chicken and mashed potatoes
- Served with roasted/grilled potatoes
- Baked salmon
- A delicious steak
- Mixed with other sauted veggies like mushrooms, red peppers, etc.
- And more!
Storing and reheating
To store any leftover cooked beans, place them in airtight containers, preferably glass, and put them in the fridge once cooled to room temperature. The cooked green beans will last in the fridge for up to a week, making this recipe a great meal prep side dish!
To reheat the green beans, microwave for one minute or until fully heated. Reheat them right before serving for the best results.
Freezing cooked green beans
If you are hoping to have your green beans last longer than a week, it’s best to freeze them! Freeze them in airtight containers or a high quality freezer bag. Cooked beans will last in the freezer for up to 10 months if stored correctly. To enjoy straight from frozen, heat them in a pan on the stove until warm, microwave for a few minutes or allow them to defrost the night before and follow reheating instructions listed above.
More Instant Pot vegetable recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on keeping your carrots as a side dish for the week.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls
Lemon Herb Instant Pot Green Beans
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- Add the 3/4 cup of water to the bottom of Instant Pot and then place trivet inside the inner pot.
- Add green beans, then drizzle with olive oil & lemon juice, sprinkling garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper overtop of beans as well. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to low, then cook for 1 minute. The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, then notify you it's done by beeping.
- Press the Cancel button then do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Carefully remove green beans from Instant Pot and serve on a large platter, gently tossing with fresh rosemary and thyme. Serve and enjoy!