This Instant Pot Apple Crisp is a delicious and classic fall dessert made easy in your pressure cooker – the apples are so tender!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – I like using salted butter, but unsalted will work too. For a dairy-free option, use your favourite butter substitute like margarine.
- Apples – use any variety of apples of your choice like Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, Gala and Golden Delicious.
- Brown sugar – organic sugar would also work or you can make your own brown sugar using white sugar and molasses.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice is best but bottled lemon juice will work in a pinch.
- Cinnamon – swap out for half the amount of apple pie seasoning instead.
- Nutmeg – see substitution notes above.
- Melted butter – see substitution notes above.
- Flour – feel free to use almond flour or another gluten-free flour of your choosing.
- Brown sugar – see substitution notes above.
- Oats – swap out for gluten-free rolled oats, steel cut oats or even chopped walnuts.
How to make apple crisp in the Instant Pot
- Peel and slice the apples.
- Melt the butter.
- Stir in the oats.
- Layer the apples in the Instant Pot.
- Add the oat mixture on top.
- Cook on high pressure for 1 minute, serve and enjoy!
What to serve with apple crisp
There are plenty of delicious ways to add a bit of extra goodness to your dessert. The classic way to serve any baked apple dessert is warmed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
You could also serve your apple crisp with one of these yummy additions:
- Whipped cream
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Butterscotch sauce
- Freshly grated cinnamon or nutmeg
Frequently Asked Questions
While both desserts are delicious, there is one key difference. An apple crisp is topped with a crispy oat mixture, whereas an apple crumble is topped with a pastry-like dough.
The crisp topping adds the perfect amount of crunch to your apple dessert! The apple crisp topping for this recipe is made of melted butter, flour, brown sugar and oats.
Adding lemon juice to your apple crisp will prevent the apples from oxidizing, so they don’t get all brown and mushy.
Crisp apples with firm flesh are the best to use for cooked desserts like this one. Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, Gala and Golden Delicious are all good choices.
Storing and reheating
Though I doubt you’ll have any leftovers, you can store this apple crisp in the fridge for up to a week. The best way to reheat your apple crisp is to warm it up in the oven for 15 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit. To ensure that the topping stays crisp, do not cover the pan with foil.
Another option is to reheat the apple crisp in a microwave for a couple of minutes. If you choose this method, be sure to use 50 percent power, or the apples may get mushy.
Can you freeze apple crisp?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing your apple crisp. The apples won’t thaw very well and will get all mushy. Since it’s so easy to make it in the Instant Pot, just whip up a fresh batch!
More Instant Pot fall recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls to store the leftovers.
Instant Pot Apple Crisp
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 apples, peeled and cored any type
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- Add butter to the bottom of Instant Pot and spread around so it covers the pot. Add in apples, pouring sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and water overtop.
- In a large bowl, melt butter, then toss with flour and sugar. Stir in oats, then add to layer of apples in the Instant Pot.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then pressure cook for 1 minute.
- The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, then notify you it's done by beeping. Press the Cancel button then do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Serve apple crisp with whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy! If you want to make the topping crispy, you can broil each serving for 1-2 minutes before enjoying.