These Instant Pot Potatoes are seasoned with garlic, paprika, thyme and chili powder – they’re the best side dish ready in just 2 minutes!
How to cook potatoes in the Instant Pot
Add the water to the Instant Pot and then place trivet inside.
Add baby potatoes. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the valve.
Pressure cook potatoes for 2 minutes. While the potatoes are in the pressure cooker, mix the spices together.
Cancel then quick release the Instant Pot. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
Carefully remove baby potatoes from Instant Pot, drain water, then add back to pot with butter and gently toss until melted and potatoes are covered. Add in spices and toss until well seasoned.
Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Red potatoes – Baby yukon gold potatoes, cubed white potatoes or white potatoes can be used in place of red potatoes.
- Garlic powder – You can use fresh minced garlic or jarred minced garlic in place of garlic powder. Just make sure to mix dry spices separately from your fresh garlic. To replace with another spice, you can use onion powder.
- Thyme – Use oregano, marjoram or rosemary in place of thyme.
- Paprika – If you don’t have paprika, add extra chili powder or replace with cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
- Chili powder – If you don’t have chili powder, add extra paprika or replace with cayenne pepper or chili flakes.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Butter – Replace butter with any neutral oil like olive oil, avocado oil or sunflower oil.
Do potatoes get mushy in Instant Pot?
Long story short, your potatoes won’t get mushy in the Instant Pot as long as they’re only cooked for 2 minutes. Any longer, the potatoes will begin to lose their form and begin to get mushy in texture. Using a different potato like a russet potato will give you a varied, softer result so I would recommend sticking to red potatoes or the other ones listed in the substitutions above.
More seasoning options
Feel free to get creative with your seasoning! Depending on the main dish you’re serving you may want to include different flavours so season your potatoes to taste.
Other options to season your baby potatoes are:
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Garlic butter
Storing and reheating
These Instant Pot baby potatoes are the best meal prep side dish, so you will definitely want to make extras. Once your baby potatoes have cooled down, place them in an airtight meal prep container and then store it in the fridge. Your baby potatoes will last in the refrigerator for up to four days. When you’re ready to enjoy your potatoes, you can microwave them until warmed for 1-2 minutes. If you’d like your potatoes to retain a crispy taste, roast your potatoes in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Freezing cooked potatoes
You can freeze your cooked potatoes if you’ve made a lot extra, making this yet another great meal prep side dish! After they’ve cooled completely, you can store your baby potatoes into an airtight freezer bag or an airtight container for 3-4 months. Make sure your potatoes are packed properly or they will lose their firmness once they’re thawed.
When you’re ready to enjoy your potatoes, the best way to reheat them will be on a sheet pan in the oven.
More Instant Pot side dish recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning these baby potatoes into your weekly lunches.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 4 months
- If you’ve lost your Instant Pot trivet (it happens!), here’s the link to the steam basket trivet
Instant Pot Potatoes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1.5 lbs red baby potatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- Add the 3/4 cup of water to the bottom of Instant Pot and then place trivet inside the inner pot.
- Add baby potatoes. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to low, then cook for 2 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, then notify you it's done by beeping. Meanwhile mix the spices together.
- Press the Cancel button then do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Carefully remove baby potatoes from Instant Pot and drain water, then add back to pot. Add in butter and gently toss until melted and potatoes are covered. Add in spices and toss until well seasoned.
- Serve and enjoy!