These Instant Pot Honey Garlic Spicy Noodles are a delicious and easy gluten-free dinner idea. The yummy sauce is made with pantry staples!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Sesame oil – use a neutral oil in place of sesame oil.
- Soy sauce – coconut aminos or tamari sauce are the best soy sauce substitutes.
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic in this recipe. In a pinch, garlic powder can also be used.
- Honey – agave syrup, maple syrup, brown rice syrup or coconut syrup would also work.
- Chili garlic sauce – sriracha or sambal oelek are great options.
- Chicken breast – chicken thighs are a great alternative to chicken breasts.
- Water – chicken broth is a great flavourful alternative to water.
- Rice noodles – swap out for any other noodles of your choice (ex: vermicelli, udon, glass noodles), just keep in mind that cooking time may vary.
- Sesame seeds – leave these off if you don’t have any on hand.
- Broccoli – cauliflower, brussels sprouts, green beans or asparagus are great substitutions.
- Bell peppers – this recipe calls for red and yellow bell peppers but feel free to use any colour that you prefer.
How to make spicy noodles in the Instant Pot
- Add the first 8 ingredients to the Instant Pot in order.
- Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Stir in the veggies.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Spicy honey garlic sauce
The spicy honey garlic sauce for this Instant Pot noodles recipe is so good – and one of the best parts is that it’s made using pantry staples you likely already have on hand! This is all you need to make the flavourful sauce:
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Chili garlic sauce
Add the sauce ingredients to the Instant Pot with the rest of the ingredients then cook!
Frequently Asked Questions
This garlic spicy noodles recipe is a healthy and gluten-free dinner option thanks to the rice noodles! If you use a different kind of noodle, the calorie count may go up.
The honey garlic noodles will need to cook for 2 minutes at high pressure in the Instant Pot. It will take the Instant Pot about 10 minutes to get up to high pressure, so the total cooking time is still less than 15 minutes.
The honey garlic sauce for this Instant Pot noodles recipe is made with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, honey and chili garlic sauce. It’s super flavourful!
Storing and reheating
These delicious garlic spicy noodles are meal prep friendly! Store individual serving sizes in glass meal prep containers for up to 5 days. Storing this recipe in individual servings makes it an easy grab and go lunch option and makes reheating so much easier. Just pull a container out of the fridge, sprinkle some water over top and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
Freezing this recipe
These Instant Pot noodles will freeze and reheat well, but the peppers may become mushy and lose their texture. If you plan on freezing this dish, I’d recommend leaving out the bell peppers.
To freeze, transfer individual serving sizes into glass airtight containers. Allow the noodles to cool to room temperature and then freeze for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, sprinkle some water over top of the noodles and microwave for 5 to 6 minutes from frozen, stirring halfway through. Alternatively, you can let the dish defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal.
More Asian-inspired Instant Pot recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this pasta up for lunch!
- I use these Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles in this recipe.
- And of course I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box!
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Spicy Noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1-2 tbsp chili garlic sauce (like Sriracha or Sambal Oelek)
- 2 medium-sized chicken breasts, diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (225g/8oz) package rice noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, sliced
- Add sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, honey, chili garlic sauce, chicken, water and rice noodles to Instant Pot in that order, making sure rice noodles are floating a little bit above the liquid. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes – Instant Pot will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure and pressure cook the 2 min.
- Do a quick release of the pressure, then open lid when safe to do so. Add in bell peppers and broccoli, and gently toss with noodles, pushing veggies underneath hot noodles to steam. Replace lid and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Remove lid, serve in bowls then top with sesame seeds. Enjoy!