This Instant Pot Turkey Chili is a comfort food classic made healthier thanks to lean ground turkey. This classic dish is ready in just 30 minutes!
How to make turkey chili in the Instant Pot
Add ground turkey and taco seasoning to the Instant Pot.
Turn off saute mode, then add in remaining ingredients (except for toppings).
Pressure cook ingredients for 5 minutes.
Serve chili in deep bowls with toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – replace olive oil with any neutral oil of your choice (ex: grapeseed oil, avocado oil or sunflower oil)
- Ground turkey – ground turkey will keep this dish leaner but feel free to substitute with the ground meat of your choice like chicken or beef.
- Taco seasoning – use store bought taco seasoning or make your own by combining chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder and chili flakes.
- Yellow onion – white onion, shallots and red onion will work in place of yellow onion in this recipe.
- Celery stalks – replace celery stalks with carrots to achieve a similar crunch or leave out the celery altogether.
- Green pepper – you can use any bell pepper colour of choice in place of green pepper or leave out altogether if you’re in a pinch.
- Jalapeno pepper – if spice is a concern, you can use a poblano pepper instead of jalapeno or leave out the jalapeno pepper overall.
- Corn – use fresh, canned or frozen corn for this recipe.
- Kidney beans – black beans, pinto beans, or a double portion of navy beans can be used in place of kidney beans.
- Navy beans – double the portion of kidney beans or replace the navy beans with pinto or black beans.
- Garlic – use fresh garlic or jarred minced garlic for this recipe.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Diced tomatoes – fresh or canned tomatoes can be used as diced tomatoes.
- Chicken broth – use beef broth, vegetable broth or water with a bouillon cube in place of chicken broth.
Topping ideas – all toppings are optional and can be replaced with any toppings of your choice.
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Green onions
What to serve with turkey chili
Turkey chili is a hearty, delicious meal and can be served with a variety of dish options. The dishes that can be served with the turkey chili can be used to enhance the meal or to add to the comfort of the soulful dish. Here are some accompaniments that go great with turkey chili:
- Tortilla chips for dipping in the chili or with a side of guacamole or salsa
- Side of cornbread
- Baked potato or cheesy potato skins
- Salad or crunchy coleslaw
- Baguette or garlic bread
Storing and reheating
Chili is one of those dishes that taste even better as a leftover! The flavours sit together and have a chance to blend with each other, enriching the taste. Refrigerate leftover turkey chili within two hours of cooking in airtight containers. It will last in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy your chili, reheat in a saucepan over medium heat before serving it. It might be necessary to add up to 1/2 cup of water or broth to thin it and keep it from scorching. The chili can also be microwaved as individual servings for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Freezing this chili
You can keep the turkey chili in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it the dish to cool completely before transferring it into an airtight freezer container, a mason jar or a plastic freezer bag.
When you’re ready to enjoy your chili, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or move it into a microwave-safe bowl into the microwave on defrost before reheating.
More Instant Pot chili recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this Turkey Chili into your weekly lunches.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and minced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 (796mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Heat Instant Pot on saute mode. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning, breaking up and browning for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off saute mode, then add in remaining ingredients (except for toppings).
- Place lid on Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure.
- Serve chili in deep bowls with toppings of choice. Enjoy!