This Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Soup is a delicious and healthy vegetarian meal idea! It’s made in 30 minutes with your pressure cooker.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Melted butter – olive oil would also work.
- Shallots – you can use white or yellow onion instead.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best, but jarred minced garlic can be used in a pinch.
- Fresh thyme – use 1 tsp. dried thyme or even fresh oregano.
- Mushrooms – I used a combination of cremini, button and shiitake mushrooms, but you can use any combination of your choice. A wild mushroom blend would also be delicious!
- Dry white wine – you can substitute for more vegetable broth instead.
- Vegetable broth – chicken broth is the best substitute here.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Heavy cream – half and half or dairy-free milk will work, but the soup won’t be as creamy.
How to make mushroom soup in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Add everything to the pot.
Add all the ingredients except for the heavy cream in the order that they’re listed.
Step 2: Cook on high pressure.
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure. Stir in the heavy cream.
Step 3: Blend some of the soup.
Remove some of the soup and let it cool, then blend it in a blender or using an immersion blender.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Add the blended soup back to the pot, stir well then serve!
What to serve with mushroom soup
You can enjoy this Instant Pot mushroom soup on its own or with one of these sides:
- Garlic bread or bread rolls
- Mini grilled cheese sandwiches
- Garlic chicken collard wraps
- Simple side green salad
- Quinoa salad
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, I used a combination of cremini, button and shiitake mushrooms. I find that it gives you the best blend and depth of flavours! You could also use a wild mushroom blend in place of the shiitake mushrooms.
If you want to make this Instant Pot cream of mushroom soup vegan or dairy-free, swap out the melted butter for olive oil, and use a dairy-free milk or cream instead of the heavy cream. The soup won’t be as creamy and might have a slightly different flavour, but it will still be delicious.
To make this mushroom soup nice and thick, remove about 3 cups of the soup from the Instant Pot and blend it using a blender or immersion blender. This will make it super thick and creamy! If you want, you could also stir a cornstarch slurry into the soup before removing some of it to blend.
Storing and reheating
You can store any leftovers of this Instant Pot mushroom soup in glass bowls in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the soup in a pot on the stovetop or in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
Can you freeze mushroom soup?
Cream-based soups like this don’t tend not to freeze and defrost well, so I wouldn’t recommend freezing this soup. Even without the dairy, mushrooms don’t freeze very well in general, as they contain a lot of water and can get soggy when defrosting.
More vegetarian Instant Pot soup recipes
- Easiest Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- The Best Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on storing the leftovers in the fridge.
- My Vitamix is a must have for sauces, soups and purees.
- An Immersion blender is a cheaper way to blend things up.
Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 2 tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 sprigs thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cup shiitake mushrooms or wild mushroom blend
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Add all ingredients except for heavy cream in the order that they're listed. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Stir in heavy cream, then remove about 3 cups of the soup in a bowl. Let cool for 5 min, then blend in a blender or with an immersion blender to get a creamy texture, then add back to the Instant Pot. Stir well, then serve and enjoy!
- PLATING TIP: If you want your soup to look fancy, buy about 1 cup more mushrooms and saute in a pan with butter and salt & pepper to taste for 5 minutes while soup cooks. Then you can use mushrooms and extra fresh thyme as garnishes.