Here’s how to cook Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes at the same time in one pot – use foil or a cake pan to separate the two and have dinner ready in no time!
A dinner of meatloaf and mashed potatoes makes the perfect comfort food on a chilly night.
To save time and prevent extra dishes to wash, the mashed potatoes and the meatloaf cook in the Instant Pot at the same time!
Ingredients in Instant Pot meatloaf
I suggest you use extra lean ground beef for this Instant Pot meatloaf. This means, the meat is at least 96% lean and at most 4% fat. Not only does it eliminate much of the unhealthy fats from the beef, but it assures that the meatloaf will be less greasy.
Aside from the ground beef, you will need a few pantry items, plus the following:
- Green pepper
Ingredients in Instant Pot mashed potatoes
I like to use Yukon gold potatoes for mashing. Yukons are a hybrid potato with thin skin and no eyes. They are a great all-purpose potato to use for making almost any potato recipe.
They are slightly waxy, but not so much that they get gluey when mashed like red potatoes do. They have enough starch that they turn fluffy and light. Plus, they have a buttery taste that just adds to the appeal of the mashed potatoes.
Besides the chopped potatoes you will need:
- Sour cream
- Heavy cream or milk
How to make Instant Pot meatloaf and mashed potatoes
Because the meatloaf and potatoes go into the Instant Pot together, this dinner is a huge time saver!
- Mix together all the ingredients for the meatloaf and press it into a greased nine inch round cake pan.
- Put the potatoes and water in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Fit the trivet over the potatoes.
- Set the cake pan on the trivet.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook for 20 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Mash the potatoes with cream, sour cream and butter.
There are several substitutions you can make to this recipe to customise it to your tastes.
Meat – Use ground turkey, chicken, or pork in the meatloaf.
Spices – Add seasonings to your meatloaf, such as basil, onion powder, thyme, or paprika.
Potatoes – For extra flavour, use chicken or vegetable stock with the potatoes instead of water. You can also cook sweet potatoes in the bottom of the pot rather than Yukon Gold. Mashed sweet potatoes are delicious with Instant Pot meatloaf!
What equipment do you need?
While making two dishes at one time in your Instant Pot may sound complicated, it’s anything but! With a few pieces of standard kitchen equipment, your Instant Pot can pull double duty all the time.
A trivet: This metal insert keeps food above the surface of any liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot. In this case, it holds the meatloaf pan above the potatoes.
A cake pan: You’ll also need a 9-inch or 6×4 inch round cake pan for the meatloaf to cook in. Silicone baking pans made especially for the Instant Pot are available. However, a standard 9-inch round cake pan will also work. You can use springform pan, but may need to use a smaller size to accommodate the release handle. Pyrex and pottery dishes are also able to withstand the pressure of the Instant Pot.
What to serve with Instant Pot meatloaf
My personal favorite is to have mashed potatoes and broccoli when I make meatloaf in the Instant Pot. But you can alter it to suit your tastes and mood. Serve some of these other side dishes with your meatloaf:
- Carrots, peas, or other veggie of your choice
- Spaghetti squash
- Roasted butternut squash
- Garlic bread
- Dinner rolls
- Garden salad
Storing and reheating
A fully cooked meatloaf will keep well in the refrigerator for five days.
You can also prepare the meatloaf mixture up to 24 hours before cooking it. If it’s helpful to meal prep, make the meatloaf the night before and it will only need to cook for 20 minutes before dinner is ready.
You can reheat individual pieces of meatloaf in the microwave or the entire pan in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Freezing Instant Pot meatloaf
Freezing meatloaf is a great way to extend its shelf life. While you can freeze uncooked meatloaf, it is safer to cook it first. This way, any bacteria that became present in the meat while it was handled will be destroyed.
Wrap the meatloaf tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing it. It will store well for three to four months this way. Thaw it completely in the refrigerator before reheating. If there are still frozen portions, it will not heat evenly.
If you plan to make gravy to serve with the Instant Pot meatloaf, you can pour some over the meatloaf before reheating. This, plus covering it in the oven, will help prevent it from drying out.
More Instant Pot comfort food
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- A 6×4 cake pan to place inside the Instant Pot
- The trivet that comes with your Instant Pot
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls to store each individual portion of leftovers in
- I get all my grass-fed ground beef from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your meatloaf is cooked through
Instant Pot resources
If you’d like some more help with your Instant Pot, then you’ll love my free resources! Sign up for free below when you get my weekly newsletter:
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- Cake pan
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Steamed broccoli (optional side)
- 1 head broccoli
- Mix ingredients for meatloaf together in a large bowl. Press mixture into a 9-inch cake pan coated with cooking spray.
- Add potatoes and water to the bottom of Instant Pot. Add trivet on top, then place cake pan full of meatloaf on top.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 20 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release, which should take about 10-20 minutes. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Remove cake pan with meatloaf and cut into slices when cooled slightly. Meanwhile, mash potatoes, stirring in sour cream, butter and cream once mashed. Serve the two together and enjoy!
- Optional steamed broccoli: While everything is cooking in the Instant Pot, add 1 head broccoli (chopped into florets) to a large bowl of water. Microwave for 7 minutes, then drain and serve alongside meatloaf and mashed potatoes.