This Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes is the ultimate comfort food. The meatloaf and potatoes cook at the same time in one pot!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Extra-lean ground beef – you can also make this meatloaf using turkey, chicken or pork.
- Egg – you can leave out the egg, but it will help keep the meatloaf nice and moist.
- Breadcrumbs – use panko or almond meal instead.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots are the best substitutes here.
- Celery – diced carrots would also be good.
- Green pepper – use any colour bell pepper of your choice.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Ketchup – you can use BBQ sauce, just keep in mind that it will have a different flavour.
- Worcestershire sauce – mix together equal parts soy sauce and ketchup for a similar taste.
- Dijon mustard – stone-ground mustard or yellow mustard can also be used.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Yukon gold potatoes – you can use another variety of potatoes, just make sure they’re chopped into small pieces.
- Water – cook the potatoes in chicken or vegetable broth for extra flavour.
- Sour cream – use non-fat Greek yogurt for a healthier option.
- Heavy cream – swap out for another milk or non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Butter – margarine or a dairy-free butter substitute could be used instead.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Broccoli – serve with another veggie of your choice like cauliflower or even a side salad.
How to make meatloaf in the Instant Pot
- Assemble your ingredients.
- Cut up the potatoes.
- Mix together the meatloaf.
- Press the mixture into a coated cake pan.
- Add the potatoes and water to the Instant Pot.
- Place the pan on top of the trivet.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes, serve and enjoy!
What equipment do you need?
While making two dishes at one time in your Instant Pot may sound complicated, it’s actually super easy! With a few pieces of standard kitchen equipment, your Instant Pot can pull double duty all the time.
Trivet: This metal insert keeps food above the surface of any liquid in the bottom of your Instant Pot. In this case, it holds the meatloaf pan above the potatoes and water.
Cake pan: You’ll need a 9-inch or 6×4 inch round cake pan for the meatloaf to cook in. Silicone baking pans made especially for the Instant Pot are available; however, a standard 9-inch round cake pan should do the trick. You can use springform pan, but may need to use a smaller size to accommodate the release handle. Pyrex and pottery dishes are also able to withstand the pressure of the Instant Pot.
Frequently Asked Questions
You sure can! For this recipe, I used a round cake pan. Just stick it on top of the trivet then cook on high pressure and voila – easy meatloaf!
This recipe will need to cook in the Instant Pot on high pressure for 20 minutes. You’ll need to do a natural pressure release afterwards, so the entire meal will be ready in about an hour from start to finish.
The egg and sauces are the secret to making sure your meatloaf is nice and juicy! Make sure you don’t skimp out on the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard. They add tons of flavour while helping your meatloaf stay moist.
I made this meatloaf using extra-lean ground beef, but you can also try using turkey, chicken or pork.
Storing and reheating
This cooked meatloaf will keep last in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat individual pieces in the microwave or the entire pan of meatloaf in the oven for about 20 minutes.
You can also prepare the meatloaf mixture up to 24 hours before cooking it. That way, you can prep the mixture the night before and then all you have to do the day-of is cook it in the Instant Pot.
Freezing this recipe
While you can freeze uncooked meatloaf, it is safer to cook it first. This way, any bacteria from handling the meat will be destroyed.
Wrap the meatloaf tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil then store it in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. When you’re ready to enjoy your meatloaf, thaw it in the fridge overnight. If you plan to make gravy to serve with the Instant Pot meatloaf, you can pour some over the meatloaf before reheating. This, plus covering it in the oven, will help prevent it from drying out.
More Instant Pot comfort food recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Get a 6×4 cake pan to place inside the Instant Pot.
- The trivet that comes with your Instant Pot.
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls to store each individual portion of leftovers in.
- I get all my grass-fed ground beef from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your meatloaf is cooked through.
Instant Pot Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes
- Cake pan
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Steamed broccoli (optional side)
- 1 head broccoli
- Mix ingredients for meatloaf together in a large bowl. Press mixture into a 9-inch cake pan coated with cooking spray.
- Add potatoes and water to the bottom of Instant Pot. Add trivet on top, then place cake pan full of meatloaf on top.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 20 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release, which should take about 10-20 minutes. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Remove cake pan with meatloaf and cut into slices when cooled slightly. Meanwhile, mash potatoes, stirring in sour cream, butter and cream once mashed. Serve the two together and enjoy!
- Optional steamed broccoli: While everything is cooking in the Instant Pot, add 1 head broccoli (chopped into florets) to a large bowl of water. Microwave for 7 minutes, then drain and serve alongside meatloaf and mashed potatoes.