These Instant Pot Honey Dijon Chicken Quinoa Bowls are a simple and tasty meal prep lunch idea that you can make ahead for the work week – the secret sauce is honey mustard so you can make this recipe using mostly pantry staples!
How to make this recipe
Add everything except red pepper, broccoli and parsley to the Instant Pot.
Pressure cook for 3 minutes.
Release pressure carefully and then mix. Add in broccoli, red pepper and parsley, stirring well to combine. Let sit for 5 mins.
Remove lid again and divide mixture among 6 bowls. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – any neutral oil can be used as a substitution for olive oil
- Chicken breasts – chicken thighs are a great alternative to chicken breasts.
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic. Garlic powder can be used in a pinch.
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth is the best alternative to chicken broth in this recipe.
- Honey mustard – combine honey and dijon mustard or use a store-bought honey mustard.
- Quinoa – couscous or another grain of choice can be used for this recipe.
- Broccoli – cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage or kale can be used instead of broccoli.
- Red pepper – use any bell pepper colour that you have on hand. Replace entirely with poblano pepper for more heat.
- Parsley (to garnish)
Storing and reheating
These bowls are a great meal prep lunch option for the week. Store these honey dijon chicken and quinoa bowls in the fridge up to 4 days! Keep them in individual servings to make this the perfect grab and go recipe as well as making the reheating process much easier.
To reheat, sprinkle a bit of water overtop to prevent the chicken and quinoa from drying and then microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Freezing this recipe
This recipe can be kept in the freezer, however if you are doing so I recommend substituting the bell pepper with a vegetable that is more freezer-friendly. Bell peppers tend to lose their texture and taste after freezing.
To freeze, transfer room temperature honey dijon chicken in individual servings to meal prep containers. Freeze for up to three months and you have the perfect, quick dinner for busy weeknights. Transfer to the fridge overnight to thaw and then follow the reheating instructions above.
More Instant Pot chicken recipes
Meal prep tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on making this dish your lunch for the week.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls
- And of course I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium-sized chicken breasts, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup honey mustard
- 2 cups dry quinoa
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot except for broccoli, red pepper and parsley, making sure to add the quinoa last on top of the chicken and broth.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to preheat and will cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid when safe to do so.
- Stir the quinoa well, then add in broccoli, red pepper and parsley, stirring well to combine. Replace lid and let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid again and divide mixture among 6 bowls. Serve and enjoy!