This Instant Pot Greek Chicken and Rice recipe is a delicious dump dinner made with crunchy veggies, feta and Mediterranean flavours.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – or any other neutral cooking oil like avocado or canola oil.
- Chicken breasts – boneless skinless chicken thighs would also work here.
- Red onion – white or yellow onion can be used but will have a milder flavour.
- Garlic – I like using fresh minced garlic but garlic powder will work in a pinch.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice is best but bottled lemon juice or even lime juice can be used instead.
- Oregano – marjoram will provide a similar flavour profile here.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth is the next best alternative.
- White rice – jasmine or basmati rice are both good options. I don’t recommend substituting for brown rice as it takes longer to cook.
- Bell pepper – use any colour bell pepper of your choice.
- Zucchini – broccoli or another veggie would be good in this dish.
- Parsley – leave this out altogether if you don’t have any on hand.
- Feta cheese – leave this out altogether if you don’t have any on hand.
- Tzatziki – make your own using plain Greek yogurt, dill, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice or leave out the tzatziki altogether.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
How to make Greek chicken
- Add the first 9 ingredients to the Instant Pot in order.
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Stir in the bell peppers, zucchini and parsley.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with feta and tzatziki.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with Greek chicken
This recipe is super filling on its own so you don’t really need any side dishes. I like serving mine with some feta on top and some tzatziki on the side for dipping. If you do want to serve it with something, you can’t go wrong with some grilled pita bread, olives or a nice Greek salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Greek chicken usually consists of chicken breast marinated in a lemon-oregano mixture, typically served with tzatziki sauce. I made this version even easier by using the Instant Pot!
There are 478 calories per serving in this Greek chicken recipe. It’s super filling and packed with protein and veggies.
Since the chicken is diced into bite-sized pieces, it only needs to cook for 4 minutes in the Instant Pot on high pressure. Keep in mind that it’ll take the Instant Pot about 10 minutes to get up to the high pressure point, so it’ll likely end up being about 15 minutes of total cooking time.
Storing and reheating
This recipe is great for meal prep! Divide the chicken and rice into individual serving size glass containers and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just sprinkle some water over top then reheat it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
Freezing this recipe
You can freeze this Greek chicken for up to 3 months in airtight glass containers. I like freezing it in individual servings so I can just pull it out of the freeze for a quick weeknight meal.
When you’re ready to enjoy, you can reheat from frozen for 5-6 minutes in the microwave or thaw in the fridge overnight and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Make sure to sprinkle some water over top before microwaving so the chicken and rice don’t dry out.
More Instant Pot chicken and rice recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Ranch Rice Bowls
- Creamiest Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Here’s the Instant Pot I use.
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this chicken and rice up for lunch!
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
Instant Pot Greek Chicken & Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional topping)
- Tzatziki (optional, to serve on the side)
- All olive oil, onions, chicken, garlic, lemon juice, oregano, salt & pepper, chicken broth and rice to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, then do a quick release of pressure.
- Open lid and stir in bell peppers, zucchini and parsley, then replace lid and let sit for 5-10 min.
- Divide among meal prep bowls and garnish with feta cheese (optional). Serve with tzatziki (again, optional) and enjoy!