This Instant Pot Crack Chicken is a delicious weeknight chicken dinner made with cream cheese, ranch seasoning, cheddar, bacon and scallions!
Ingredients in this recipe
Get ready for one of the most popular Instant Pot dishes of all time! You don’t need much to make this flavourful chicken:
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- cream cheese
- dry ranch seasoning
- cheddar cheese
- Any sides, such as broccoli
How to make crack chicken in the Instant Pot
Here’s how to make this yummy chicken:
- Add olive oil and chicken breasts to Instant Pot.
- Microwave cream cheese to soften.
- Stir in ranch seasoning packet and chicken broth.
- Pour over chicken in Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook for 8 minutes, then shred chicken once you’ve let the pressure naturally release. While chicken is pressure cooking, fry bacon in a skillet on the stove.
- Add cheese to chicken, then top with scallions and bacon. Serve with side of choice and enjoy!
Because this recipe is quite simple and straightforward, any major changes will affect the overall flavor.
However, there are a few things that can easily be adjusted based on what you have on hand.
- CHICKEN BREASTS: This recipe can also be made with boneless, skinless thighs. Just reduce cook time to 6 minutes instead.
- BROTH: You can also use chicken stock or vegetable broth. Even water will work, the flavor just won’t be as rich.
- CHEDDAR CHEESE: Substitute with another great melting cheese, such as white cheddar, Monterey Jack, or smoked gouda.
- DRY RANCH SEASONING: Reduce the sodium and preservatives in this recipe by making your own seasoning blend. Take a look at this easy homemade ranch seasoning recipe. Keep extra in the pantry for up to a year.
Making it in a slow cooker
It’s really simple to convert this recipe so you can make it in a crockpot. This is a great option if you have errands to run or things to do around the house.
You’ll need to cook the bacon separately, but that can be done a day or two beforehand if you want to.
- Add the chicken breasts, broth, cream cheese, and seasonings to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Then, top with the cheddar, bacon, and green onions before serving.
Tips for juicy chicken
If you have the time available, there are a couple of things you can do to guarantee that your chicken comes out perfectly juicy.
- Use a natural pressure release – When the timer goes off, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure inside. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes, and then the pressure pin will drop. At this point, the lid can be removed.
- Sear the chicken first – Set the Instant Pot to Saute and add a little oil. Add the chicken breasts and sear on both sides, just for a minute or two. Then, continue the recipe as directed.
What do you serve with crack chicken?
The possibilities are nearly endless! This dish is creamy, savory, and a little bit tangy, so choose something that complements those flavors.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Steamed vegetables – use your Instant Pot to cook the veggies in just a few minutes!
- Mashed potatoes – This is another easy side dish that you can make quickly in an IP.
- Quinoa, white or brown rice, or cauliflower rice
- Sweet potato fries
- Healthy garden salad
Some people even like to shred the meat, stir everything together, then serve it as a filling on toasted buns or in lettuce wraps.
Storing and reheating
Transfer the chicken and sauce to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
For meal prep, divide the chicken and sauce evenly between your meal prep containers along with whatever side dish you choose.
Reheat in the microwave until the sauce has melted and the chicken is warmed through.
Or, you can also heat on the stove or in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
Freezing crack chicken
First, let the chicken cool slightly in the Instant Pot or refrigerate until chilled. Then, transfer to an airtight container or freezer-safe ziploc bags.
Keep the chicken with the sauce in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
More Instant Pot chicken recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Order ranch seasoning online
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this recipe into leftovers
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through
Instant Pot Crack Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 package dry ranch seasoning
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 4 scallions sliced
- 8 slices bacon
Optional side dish
- 1 head broccoli
- Add olive oil and chicken breasts to Instant Pot. In a large bowl, microwave cream cheese for 1 minute to soften, then stir in ranch seasoning packet and chicken broth. Pour over chicken in Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on Instant pot and press the pressure cook button. Select the high setting, then set to cook for 8 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to preheat then the 8 minutes to pressure cook. Note: to double recipe, add 5 more minutes cook time.
- Let the pressure naturally release once chicken has finished cooking (should take 15-20 min), then open lid when safe to do so. Shred chicken inside pot with two forks.
- Meanwhile, if serving, add broccoli to a large bowl of water and microwave for 10 minutes. Drain then set aside. While chicken is pressure cooking, fry bacon in a skillet on the stove.
- Add cheese to chicken, then top with scallions and bacon. Serve with side of steamed broccoli and enjoy!