This Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is delicious, filling, and healthy. Thanks to some help from frozen veggies and cheese tortellini, the cook time for this soup is just 20 minutes!
Recipe Notes for Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- This is a healthy chicken soup recipe, using chicken breasts rather than rotisserie chicken. If you have any leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge, you can definitely use it in the soup. Since the chicken is already cooked, add it at the end of the cooking time, letting it warm through on “saute”. Or heat the chicken in the microwave and just stir it into the soup.
- A bag of frozen mixed vegetables helps to shorten the cooking time for the chicken tortellini soup. If you prefer to use fresh veggies, go for it! Keep in mind, however, that you’ll need to add them to the Instant Pot in step one so they have enough time to cook through. I don’t like to risk mushy veggies so I microwave or steam them separately, adding them to the soup after it finishes cooking.
- Depending on what model of pressure cooker you have, the time for building pressure varies. On average, it takes 10-20 minutes.
How can I make my Instant Pot build pressure faster?
A tip to shorten the pressure-building time when you make the Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup, or any other soup recipe:
Add the chicken stock and set your pressure cooker to “saute” while you get the rest of the ingredients ready. When you’re ready to cook the soup, just turn off the IP and start following the recipe instructions at step 1.
Can you freeze chicken tortellini soup?
Many broth-based soup recipes like Instant Pot Vegetable Bean Soup and Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup freeze well. Unfortunately, the Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe uses frozen tortellini, which is likely to become mushy after it’s been cooked. For that reason, it won’t freeze very well.
That being said, it stays good in the fridge for about 2 days, making it a fantastic make-ahead soup for lunch or dinner later in the week.
Can I use fresh tortellini or shelf-stable tortellini?
We’re using frozen tortellini to make this a quick, 20-minute soup recipe. Fresh tortellini is a great choice, but it won’t require as long to cook as frozen. Usually, fresh tortellini takes 7 minutes to cook, so if you go that route, reduce the cooking time by a couple of minutes.
Taking nearly twice as long to cook as fresh, shelf-stable tortellini isn’t recommended.
What should I serve with chicken tortellini soup?
Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is packed with protein, veggies, and great vitamins and minerals, so it’s a complete meal on its own. If you want to serve something along with the soup, you can’t wrong with a nice crusty loaf of French bread on the plate. Maybe a healthy garden salad, too!
Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup into your weekly lunches.
I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (350g) package cheese tortellini
- 1 (750g) package frozen vegetables, defrosted
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Add olive oil, onions, celery, garlic, chicken, salt & pepper, chicken broth and tortellini to Instant Pot in that order. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10-20 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook the 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, defrost frozen veggies in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Microwave tortellini for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon, then open lid when pressure gauge has dropped and lid opens easily. Shred chicken breasts, then stir chicken back in with tortellini, veggies and parsley. Replace lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!