This Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is ultra filling and super delicious. Since you’re using frozen veggies, it’s ready in 30 minutes!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – or another neutral cooking oil like avocado or canola oil.
- Yellow onions – white onions or shallots would provide a similar flavour.
- Celery – if you don’t have any celery, you can add in some carrots to provide a bit of crunch.
- Garlic – fresh minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Chicken breasts – chicken breasts are the healthier option but you can also use 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs. You can also cut down on prep time by using leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth would be the next best thing.
- Frozen vegetables – use the frozen vegetable variety of your choice from the grocery store.
- Cheese tortellini – frozen tortellini is easiest but you can also use fresh tortellini (just reduce the cooking time by a couple minutes).
- Parsley – chervil or tarragon can be used instead.
How to make chicken tortilla soup
- Add everything but the frozen veggies, tortellini and parsley to the Instant Pot in order.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Microwave the frozen veggies and tortellini.
- Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Shred the chicken breasts.
- Stir in the veggies, tortellini and parsley.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to serve on the side
Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup is packed with protein, veggies, and great vitamins and minerals, so it’s a complete meal on its own. If you want to serve something along with the soup, you can’t wrong with a nice crusty loaf of French bread on the plate. Maybe a healthy garden salad, too!
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken tortellini is a delicious broth-based soup with lots of veggies, shredded chicken breasts and cheese tortellini. It’s the perfect soup to curl up with on a chilly day!
Nope! Since you’re adding in the tortellini after the soup has cooked, it won’t get soggy and will just cook slightly in the pot. Make sure you don’t add it in while the soup is cooking on high pressure or it’ll end up a soggy mess.
This recipe has 373 calories per serving. Since it’s a broth-based soup instead of a cream-based soup, it’s a super healthy option.
Storing and reheating
This chicken tortellini soup is best eaten fresh, but it will last in the fridge for about 2 days. Just stick it in the microwave for a couple minutes or bring to a simmer over low heat in a pot on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
Can you freeze chicken tortellini soup?
Many broth-based soup recipes like Instant Pot Vegetable Bean Soup and Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup freeze well. Unfortunately, the Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe uses frozen tortellini, which is likely to become mushy after it’s been cooked. For that reason, it won’t freeze very well.
More Instant Pot soup recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (750g) package frozen vegetables, defrosted
- 1 (350g) package cheese tortellini
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Add olive oil, onions, celery, garlic, chicken, salt & pepper and chicken broth to Instant Pot in that order. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 5 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10-20 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook the 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, defrost frozen veggies in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Microwave tortellini for 2 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon, then open lid when pressure gauge has dropped and lid opens easily. Shred chicken breasts, then stir chicken back in with tortellini, veggies and parsley. Replace lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!