This Beef and Broccoli Instant Pot Ramen is a delicious stir fry noodle dish that comes together in one pot, made with basic pantry staples from your cupboard.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Sesame oil – you can use a neutral cooking oil like olive oil but it won’t have the same flavour.
- Fast fry steak – flank steak, sirloin steak or skirt steak are all great options for this recipe.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Ginger – if you don’t have any fresh ginger, use a bit of ground ginger instead.
- Beef broth – vegetable broth would be the next best thing.
- Soy sauce – coconut aminos or tamari are the best substitutes for soy sauce.
- Oyster sauce – mushroom-flavoured soy sauce or teriyaki sauce would also work although the teriyaki sauce will create a thinner consistency.
- Chili sauce – if you don’t like a lot of spice, you can leave this out altogether.
- Ramen noodles – if you can’t find any ramen noodles, you can try making homemade ramen, use spaghetti noodles or leave out the ramen and serve it over rice.
- Broccoli – use either fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe. If you’re using frozen broccoli, make sure to microwave it for a bit first.
How to make ramen in the Instant Pot
- Add everything but the broccoli to the Instant Pot in order.
- Cook on high pressure for 1 minute.
- Steam the broccoli.
- Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Toss the noodles and beef.
- Stir in the broccoli.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
What kind of beef to use
To make beef and broccoli ramen in an Instant Pot, you’ll want to use a cut of beef that cooks quickly. Good choices for this recipe are flank steak, sirloin steak or skirt steak. Sometimes you may also be able to find fast fry steak strips already pre-cut at the grocery store so you can just toss them in and cook.
A note about cooking with flank steak:
While flank steak is a very thin cut of beef, it is also very tough and fibrous. To create tender flank steak, slice it across the grain, allowing the fibres to relax.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, the ramen noodles will cook alongside the rest of the ingredients for 1 minute on high pressure. Keep in mind that the Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to get up to high pressure.
For this recipe, I cook the broccoli separately from the rest of the dish. This allows for the use of either fresh or frozen broccoli. While some people prefer to cook broccoli and beef ramen ingredients together in the Instant Pot, I steam it separately, which prevents it from overcooking. If you’re going to use frozen broccoli, I recommend microwaving for a minute or two to defrost and then you can mix it in at the end as you would the fresh steamed broccoli.
Ramen noodles are made with rice flour, while spaghetti and other types of pasta are made with semolina flour. The consistency of ramen noodles is firmer than pasta, so, while you can use spaghetti, the taste and texture of the dish will be different.
Storing and reheating
When it comes to meal prep recipes, this beef and broccoli ramen is a great choice. It will last in the fridge for up to 5 days and is super easy to reheat – just stick it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or reheat in a pot on the stovetop and dig in.
Freezing this recipe
If you plan to create freezer meals with this dish, be sure that it is completely cool before you place it into airtight glass containers or freezer-safe Ziploc bags. This ramen dish will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to reheat it, let it defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal.
More Instant Pot noodle recipes
- Instant Pot Ramen Noodles with Chicken
- Spicy Honey Garlic Instant Pot Noodles
- Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning the Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli into meal prep lunches for the week.
- I get all of my free-range chicken and grass-fed beef from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
Beef and Broccoli Instant Pot Ramen
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 package fast fry steak cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp chili sauce (such as sambal oelek or sriracha)
- 3 packages ramen noodles
- 2 heads broccoli
- Add sesame oil, steak, garlic, ginger, beef broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili sauce and dry ramen noodles to Instant Pot in that order. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal.
- Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 1 minute. Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook the 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, lightly steam broccoli in a steamer or boil in a large pot of water for 1-2 minutes until lightly tender and drain.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Gently toss noodles and beef – there may be uncooked portions of noodles so make sure to mix those underneath the hot cooked noodles and the small amount of excess liquid that is left, then gently mix in cooked broccoli.
- Replace lid and let sit for 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy!