These Instant Pot Artichokes are so easy to make, served with a creamy garlic sauce for dipping. They’re ready in just 30 minutes!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Artichokes – artichokes are the star of the recipe, so there’s no real replacement for them.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice is preferred but bottled lemon juice will work if it’s all you have on hand.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
Creamy garlic dipping sauce
- Light mayo – you can use full-fat mayo, but it will increase the calorie count.
- Sour cream – plain Greek yogurt or crème fraiche would also work here.
- Parmesan cheese – swap out for any hard grated cheese. For a dairy-free option, use nutritional yeast.
- Garlic – freshly minced or jarred minced garlic can both be used.
- Lemon juice – see substitution notes above.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
How to cook artichokes in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Trim the stems.
Prepare the artichokes by trimming the stems and peel away any browned outer leaves.
Step 2: Chop off the tops.
Chop off the tops of the artichokes (about 1/4 of the way down). Rinse the artichokes.
Step 3: Prepare the Instant Pot.
Place trivet inside Instant Pot, then pour in water.
Step 4: Add in the artichokes.
Place the artichokes in the Instant Pot facing upright, then pour lemon juice overtop and season with salt & pepper.
Step 5: Cook on high pressure.
Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 10 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together ingredients for the creamy garlic parmesan dip.
Step 6: Serve with creamy dip and enjoy!
Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily. Once lid is safe to open, remove artichokes with tongs. Serve the artichoke by peeling off the leaves and dipping in the dip. That’s how you eat it – enjoy!
How do you eat artichokes?
How you eat an Instant Pot artichoke depends on whether you are serving it as an appetizer snack, or as a meal in and of itself.
The most common way to serve artichokes for snacking is with a dip. First, the entire artichoke is steamed, boiled or baked. Then, the outer petals are removed from the inner choke and used for dipping.
In addition to using the petals for dipping, the inner part of the vegetable can be incorporated into appetizers like spinach artichoke dip. They’re also delicious with chutney or preserves.
Another great way to use your Instant Pot artichoke is in soup! When artichokes are steamed, the petals of the vegetable become very soft. As a result, they are easy to blend in a food processor or with an immersion blender to make a creamy artichoke soup.
Since the taste of an artichoke is so plain, there are a lot of ingredients that pair well with this vegetable! One delicious way to serve this artichoke Instant Pot recipe as a meal is to stuff the artichokes with meat or vegan protein such as chicken, beef or legumes. Grains like rice, quinoa and lentils are perfect pairings for artichokes as well. You can even add artichoke hearts to a salad for a light meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you make artichokes in the oven, they’ll typically take about 25 to 35 minutes to cook. That’s why I love making Instant Pot artichokes – they only need to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
As long as you don’t overdo it with the seasonings of fatty dipping sauces, artichokes are super healthy and good for you. They’re low in fat and high in important nutrients and vitamins including fibre, folate, vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium and iron. They’re actually one of the vegetables with the highest antioxidant content!
When they are raw, artichokes really don’t have a lot of flavour. If anything, the flavour is very mild, sort of similar to egg whites. Some people associate the flavour of steamed artichokes with celery or early spring asparagus, as it tastes crisp but with a nutty undertone. They’re for dipping, so whip up a batch of Instant Pot artichokes and enjoy them as an appetizer with this creamy garlic sauce!
There are plenty of delicious dipping options! Any type of creamy, tangy dip is perfect to serve with this Instant Pot artichoke recipe. Other dip ideas include roasted red pepper dip, ranch, hummus or Caesar. My favourite dip to serve artichokes with is creamy garlic dip, which I included in the recipe card below.
Storing and reheating
Artichokes are best when eaten fresh, but if you have leftovers of these Instant Pot artichokes, wrap them in plastic wrap or an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The best way to reheat artichokes without making the leaves too soft or soggy is to reheat them on a sheet pan in the oven at 350° Fahrenheit. Place them in a single layer and cook for about 15 minutes. Serve with fresh dip and dig in!
Can you freeze artichokes?
You can technically freeze artichokes after they’ve been cooked, but the texture won’t be the same. Since it’s so easy to cook artichokes in the Instant Pot, I’d recommend just making them fresh.
More Instant Pot vegetable recipes
- Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
- Perfect Instant Pot Asparagus
- Instant Pot Acorn Squash
- More Instant Pot Spring Recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Here’s the steam basket trivet in case you lost the one that comes with your Instant Pot.
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on storing the leftovers.
Instant Pot Artichokes + Creamy Garlic Dip
- 1 cup water
- 4 artichokes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
Creamy garlic dipping sauce
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper
- Prepare the artichokes by trimming the stems and peel away any browned outer leaves. Chop off the tops of the artichokes (about 1/4 of the way down). Rinse the artichokes.
- Place trivet inside Instant Pot, then pour in water. Place the artichokes in the Instant Pot facing upright, then pour lemon juice overtop and season with salt & pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 10 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure then pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together ingredients for the creamy garlic parmesan dip.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily. Once lid is safe to open, remove artichokes with tongs.
- Serve the artichoke by peeling off the leaves and dipping in the dip. That's how you eat it – enjoy!