This Easy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is a comforting and delicious one pot dinner idea that’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral cooking oil like grapeseed oil, canola oil or avocado oil.
- Yellow onions – white onions or shallots are great alternatives to yellow onions in this recipe.
- Garlic – fresh or jarred minced garlic is preferred. In a pinch, use garlic powder or garlic salt.
- Italian seasoning – use store-bought Italian seasoning or make your own using a blend of oregano and basil.
- Chili flakes – feel free to leave this out if you don’t like spice.
- Ground beef – substitute for any ground meat of your choice like ground turkey.
- Beef broth – chicken broth or vegetable broth can be used but will have a milder flavour.
- Crushed tomatoes – freshly crushed tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes are great replacements.
- Rotini pasta – useany pasta shape of your choice. I recommend using a short pasta shape in this recipe.
- Spinach – swap out for another leafy green like kale or arugula.
- Ricotta cheese – mascarpone will work as a substitute.
- Parmesan cheese – fresh grated parmesan cheese is recommended. Use pre-packaged parmesan or asiago cheese as a substitute.
- Basil – use fresh basil, additional spinach leaves or basil seasoning.
How to make lasagna soup in the Instant Pot
- Add the first 9 ingredients in order.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Top with ricotta, parmesan and basil.
- Serve and enjoy!
Making vegetarian lasagna soup
I used ground beef in this lasagna soup Instant Pot recipe; however, you can skip the ground beef and add a bunch of different veggies instead to make it a vegetarian lasagna soup.
Broccoli, bell peppers and mushrooms would all be great additions. If you’re using mushrooms, make sure you cook them along with the pasta, because they won’t quite steam in the hot liquid like spinach, broccoli or red pepper would.
Frequently Asked Questions
This lasagna soup has 502 calories per serving. If you want to cut down on the calorie count, you can forego the extra cheese or use a leaner protein like ground turkey.
This recipe has a mix of all the major food groups, making it a balanced and nutritious meal. It’s so rich and hearty that you can cut back on adding in the mozzarella cheese that you’d traditionally find in lasagna.
One of the great things about this lasagna soup Instant Pot recipe is that it’s super customizable. You can add in any other veggies of your choice like bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms and more.
I typically use rotini pasta for this recipe, but you can use any short pasta shape of your choice like rotini or penne. I’d recommend sticking to short-shaped pasta to ensure that it cooks properly in the Instant Pot.
If you’re making this soup for a party, potluck or large gathering, you can double up on the recipe in the Instant Pot (as long as the ingredients don’t go over the pot’s overflow line). The cooking time should remain the same. Set out the toppings so people can add their own and voila!
Storing and reheating
This Instant Pot lasagna soup is great for leftovers! You can store it in the fridge for 4 to 5 days and reheat it in a pot on the stovetop or in the microwave. Reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally until warmed through. If you’re taking this soup for your work or school lunch, just pop it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Can you freeze lasagna soup?
You can freeze this Instant Pot lasagna soup, but you’ll want to leave out the noodles, spinach, ricotta cheese and parmesan cheese. Follow the cooking instructions up until that step, then let it cool. Once it’s cooled completely, freeze individual servings in glass bowls or Ziploc bags for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy your soup, let it defrost in the fridge overnight, then bring it to a simmer in a pot on the stovetop. Add in the noodles and simmer until the noodles are cooked through, then add in the remaining ingredients and serve.
More Instant Pot soup recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this pasta up for lunch!
- This is the pasta I used in this recipe.
- And of course I get all my grass-fed beef from Butcher Box!
Easy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 6 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 (796mL) can or jar crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups dry rotini pasta
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
- Add olive oil, onions, garlic, spices, beef, broth, tomatoes and pasta to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure 3 minutes – Instant Pot will take 15 minutes to come to pressure then the 3 minutes to pressure cook. Do a quick release of the pressure and remove lid once steam has gone.
- Stir in spinach then ladle into bowls and top with a spoonful of ricotta, fresh parmesan and basil. Serve and enjoy!