This Easy Instant Pot Cabbage and Bacon is the ultimate side dish that’s ready in less than 20 minutes and made healthier with turkey bacon!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cabbage – use fresh cabbage or buy pre-sliced cabbage at the store.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth will also work well for this recipe.
- Turkey bacon – use regular bacon or even chicken bacon in place of turkey bacon.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
How to cook cabbage in the Instant Pot
- Add broth and cabbage to the Instant Pot.
- Chop up the bacon.
- Cook the cabbage on high pressure for 0 minutes.
- Toss with the bacon and serve.
What to serve with cabbage and bacon
Cabbage and bacon is a great side dish that will pair well with any recipe that you’re making. Though you can pair your cabbage and bacon with any protein like chicken or beef, it’s a great accompaniment for pork protein as well. Pair this cabbage and bacon dish with sausage, ham or pork chops. If you’re looking for a flavourful vegetable side idea, this is the one!
Frequently Asked Questions
Cabbage needs to cook in the Instant Pot for 0 minutes at high pressure – yes, you read that right! As the Instant Pot heats up and gets up to high pressure, it fully cooks the cabbage, so it doesn’t need to be pressure cooked on high. Make sure to deselect the “keep warm” option and shut off the Instant Pot immediately once it has come to pressure so your cabbage doesn’t get soggy.
I love adding some bacon to my cabbage – it adds a bit of crunchiness and saltiness! I also love serving cabbage with pork dishes like sausage, ham or pork chops.
This cabbage and bacon recipe has 34 calories per serving.
Cabbage is a super healthy vegetable that’s packed with nutrients like vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, manganese and fibre. It’s also low in calories and high in antioxidants, which makes it a healthy side to serve with any dish.
Storing and reheating
Store the cooked cabbage in the fridge for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container. I’d suggest keeping the bacon separately and adding it on fresh so it doesn’t get soggy. When you’re ready to enjoy, reheat the cabbage in the microwave until warmed through or sauté it in a pan on the stovetop. Toss it with the bacon and serve.
Can you freeze cabbage?
Yes, cooked cabbage can be frozen for up to 3 months! Let the cabbage cool completely then store it in an airtight container or Ziploc bag. You can store it with the bacon or just add the bacon on fresh right before serving. Let the cabbage defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat as normal.
More Instant Pot vegetable recipes
- Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
- Perfect Instant Pot Asparagus
- Instant Pot Carrots with Brown Sugar Glaze
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this cabbage into your weekly lunches.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
Easy Instant Pot Cabbage and Bacon
- 1 medium-sized green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 slices pork or turkey bacon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add broth to Instant Pot, then cabbage. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for zero minutes. Make sure to deselect the "keep warm" setting. The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and then shut off immediately.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over med-high heat until crispy.
- Drain liquid from cabbage, then season with salt & pepper. Serve in a large bowl with bacon sprinkled overtop, then serve and enjoy!