Instant Pot Cabbage with Bacon is the ultimate side dish and it only needs 0 minutes on high pressure – yes, you read that right, zero!
How to make cabbage with bacon in the Instant Pot
Add broth to Instant Pot, then cabbage. Pressure cook for 0 minutes.
Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy. Cut into tiny pieces.
Drain liquid from cabbage, then season with salt & pepper.
Serve in a large bowl with bacon mixed in. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth will also work well for this recipe.
- Turkey bacon – use pork or chicken bacon in place of turkey bacon.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
How long does it take to cook cabbage in the Instant Pot?
Pressure cooked cabbage is one of the easiest side dishes to make in the Instant Pot! It takes only 0 minutes to cook after all – yes you read that right! In the process of the Instant Pot heating up and coming to pressure, it fully cooks so it doesn’t need to pressure cook at all. When making this recipe, make sure to deselect the “keep warm” option and shut off the Instant Pot immediately once it has come to pressure.
What to serve with cabbage and bacon
Cabbage and bacon is a great side dish that will pair well with any recipe that you’re making. Though you can pair your cabbage and bacon with any protein like chicken or beef, it’s a great accompaniment for any pork protein. Pair the cabbage and bacon with sausage, ham or pork chops. If you’re looking for a flavourful vegetable side, this is the one!
Storing and reheating
To store the cabbage and bacon in the fridge, place it in an airtight container. Once it has cooled to room temperature, it is ready to be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. If meal prepping this side dish, I would suggest cooking and storing the cabbage separately then adding the bacon fresh so that it doesn’t get soggy.
To enjoy, reheat the cabbage in the microwave until fully warmed or saute in a pan on the stove.
Can you freeze leftover cabbage?
Yes, this dish is freezer friendly for up to three months! To freeze, let the cabbage cool completely, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag. You can store it in the freezer with the bacon or you can store just the cabbage in the freezer and add your bacon fresh when ready to enjoy.
When ready to enjoy, move the cabbage to the fridge to thaw overnight and then reheat in the microwave or saute in a pan.
More Instant Pot vegetable recipes
- Instant Pot steamed vegetables
- Perfect Instant Pot asparagus
- Instant pot carrots with brown sugar glaze
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this cabbage into your weekly lunches.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowlsup to 3 months
Instant Pot Cabbage with Bacon
- 1 medium-sized green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 slices pork or turkey bacon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add broth to Instant Pot, then cabbage. Place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for zero minutes. Make sure to deselect the "keep warm" setting. The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and then shut off immediately.
- Do a quick release of the pressure on the Instant Pot by flicking the switch at the top with a spoon. Open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped and the lid opens easily.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over med-high heat until crispy.
- Drain liquid from cabbage, then season with salt & pepper. Serve in a large bowl with bacon sprinkled overtop, then serve and enjoy!