This Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole offers a healthier spin on the comfort food favourite and is ready in just 30 minutes.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – any neutral oil will do, such as avocado or canola oil.
- Chicken breasts – if you prefer dark meat, you can substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Yellow onion – both white onions and shallots can be used instead.
- Garlic – use freshly minced garlic. In a pinch, you can use a little bit of garlic powder or garlic salt.
- Dijon mustard – dry mustard can be used, but may not work or taste exactly the same as dijon mustard.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth can would be the best substitute here.
- Jasmine rice – you can use basmati rice or any other long grain white rice instead. Keep in mind cook times may vary depending on what rice you choose.
- Sour cream – you can use Greek yogurt, but the flavour will be a bit different.
- Cheddar cheese – substitute for any kind of cheese of your choice.
- Broccoli – use any hearty vegetable, such as cauliflower or asparagus.
How to make casserole in the Instant Pot
- Add the first 8 ingredients in order.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure.
- Stir in the sour cream and cheese.
- Stir in the broccoli and let it sit.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with chicken broccoli casserole
The beauty of casseroles is that they have pretty much everything you need in one dish – protein, rice, veggies and cheese. I’d recommend serving this healthy chicken broccoli rice casserole on its own, with a small side salad or with additional veggies like asparagus.
Frequently Asked Questions
This healthy chicken broccoli casserole has 492 calories per serving, making it a lighter option than most traditional recipes. It’s also made with lots of yummy veggies and protein, so you’ll be full a lot faster.
One of the best parts of this Instant Pot chicken broccoli rice recipe is that the rice cooks alongside the rest of the ingredients! There’s no need to pre-cook the rice which means less prep time and fewer dishes.
For this healthy chicken broccoli rice casserole, you’ll add the raw broccoli to the Instant Pot after everything has finished cooking. Stir it into the casserole then replace the lid and let it sit for 5 minutes. It’ll cook alongside the rest of the hot ingredients so you’re not left with mushy, over-cooked broccoli!
Storing and reheating
This healthy chicken broccoli rice casserole can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days! Portion the casserole into individual serving sizes to make reheating easier.
To reheat, sprinkle a little bit of water over top to prevent the casserole from drying out and then microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
Can you freeze chicken broccoli rice casserole?
This healthy chicken broccoli casserole makes for a perfect freezer meal! Wait for it to cool to room temperature and then transfer into glass containers and freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost the casserole, transfer it into the fridge overnight then reheat as per the instructions above.
More Instant Pot comfort food recipes
- The Ultimate Instant Pot Chili
- Cheesiest Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls for your leftovers.
- And of course I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box.
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium-sized boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- Add olive oil, chicken, onions, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper, chicken broth and jasmine rice to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes – Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to preheat and then the 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Do a quick release of the pressure and when safe to do so, open lid and stir in sour cream and cheese, mixing well to combine. Stir in broccoli then replace lid and let sit 5 min.
- Serve with a bit of extra shredded cheddar cheese on top and enjoy!